Structural engineering firms is of great importance for the innovation and development of societies. Although it is one of the oldest professions, this industry continues to grow. Applying scientific knowledge, invention, and design, structural and civil engineers can give solutions to different problems and meet the needs of both people and societies.
Now, a structural or civil engineer may wonder which are the best engineering companies in the world. There are millions of companies, so we bring you the top 13 structural engineering firms.
Top 13 Structural Engineering Firms
Below we present a list of the 13 most innovative and interesting structural engineering firms in the world.
1. Ammann & Whitney
Founded in 1946 by Othmar Ammann, bridge designer, and Charles S. Whitney, designer of innovative structures. It was a full-service civil engineering company that offered design and construction services for public and private sector projects.
Ammann & Whitney was an international firm with offices in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Miami, and Washington. The firm worked on a wide variety of steel, concrete, masonry, and wood projects, specializing in long-span suspension bridges.
In 2016, the firm merged with Louis Berger Group, which then merged with WSP in 2018.
- Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
- Throgs Neck Bridge
- George Washington Bridge
- General Belgrano Bridge
- Bridge of the Americas
Ove Arup Nyquist founded Arup in 1946 as an engineering company in various disciplines and architectural services. It provides professional engineering, design, planning, project management, and consulting services.
This company is present in America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Oceania, and East Asia, with offices in 37 countries, and has carried out projects in more than 160 countries.
- Ontario Glass Museum, Toronto, Canada
- California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles
- Aspire Tower, Doha, Qatar
- Beijing National Stadium, Beijing, China
- Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
- Oresund Bridge, Denmark, Sweden
Did you like this post? Sign up and we’ll send you more awesome posts like this every month.
3. Stantec Inc.
International professional services company, founded in 1954, provides engineering, planning, architecture, and infrastructure and facilities projects management.
Stantec Inc. has headquarters in the new ice district of central Edmonton, western Canada, and outside of Toronto. It has over 25,000 employees operating in over 400 locations worldwide.
- Panama Canal Expansion, Panama
- Stantec Tower, Edmonton, Canada
- Telus Spark Science Centre, Calgary, Canada
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, Merritt Island, Florida
- Anthony Henday Drive, Edmonton, Canada
VINCI is a French industrial group created in 1899 by two engineers, Alexander Giros and Louis Loucheur. It is a leading company in public works that specializes in buildings construction, transportation infrastructure, roads, highways, and railways, with a clear objective of building a more sustainable planet.
The VINCI Group has more than 18300 employees worldwide and operates in 100 countries.
- Atlantic Bridge, Panama
- Cairo Metro lines 1, 2, and 3, Cairo, Egypt
- Coen Tunnel North of Amsterdam
- Railway tunnels in Hallandsås, Sweden
- Ordination of the Grand Louvre, Paris, France
It is a global structural engineering firm that provides its services in multidisciplinary infrastructure and was founded in 1954 by Tung-Yen Lin, a Chinese-American structural engineer recognized worldwide for being an innovator in the engineering and construction of bridges.
This firm offers several services such as construction and project management for aviation, seaports, rail, and transit.
TYLin operates in more than 50 countries on four continents. It has headquarters in San Francisco, with over 3000 engineers and specialists.
- Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Phoenix, Arizona
- Bridge over the Caiyuanba Yangtze River, Chongqing, China
- Link from Dublin, Dublin, Ohio
- El Dorado International Airport, Bogota, Colombia
- Jamuna Bridge, Tangail and Sirajganj, Bangladesh
Arcadis NV is a global company founded in the Netherlands in 1888, dedicated to designing and engineering consulting, headquartered in Zuidas, Amsterdam, and operating in more than 40 countries.
The company focuses on sustainable projects that contribute to improving urban life.
- London City Airport
- Motorway A2, Netherlands
- Gerald Desmond Bridge, California
- Millau Viaduct, France
- Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman Bridge, Bahrain
- Jump Bridge connector Spann, Georgia
- Wisconsin SteelWorks, Chicago
7. Bechtel Corporation
Bechtel Corporation, also called Bechtel Group, is one of the largest structural engineering firms in the United States. It was founded in the early twentieth century by Warren A. Bechtel, with a workforce of 44,000 employees, and has executed works in more than 50 countries. It has headquarters in the city of San Francisco.
- Bekme Hydroelectric Dam, Turkey
- Petrochemical plants, Iraq
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Big Data de Boston
- Transylvania Highway, Romania
Atkins is a British multinational engineering and design company founded as WS Atkins & Partners by Sir William Atkins in 1938. It is considered one of the most respected consultancies in project management and design around the world.
Headquartered in London, UK, and with over 300 offices in 30 countries, it operates in different regions of the UK, Middle East, Asia Pacific, Hong Kong, and North America.
In 2016 it became the largest structural engineering firms in the UK and one of the largest in the world.
- Gautrain Rapid Transit Rail System, South Africa
- Xi’an Xianyang International Airport Terminal, China
- White City of Baku, Azerbaijan
- DIFC Lighthouse Tower, United Arab Emirates
- The Bulwell Academy, Nottingham
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Florida
9. Laing O’Rourke
A multinational construction company founded in 1978 by Ray O’Rourke and located East of London. It has operations in two prominent geographical centers, Europe and Australia. Laing O’Rourke‘s focus is the construction of infrastructure and construction of buildings.
- Darwin Convention Centre, Australia
- Kwinana Power Station, Western Australia
- Tunbridge Wells Hospital, Pembury
- London Gateway Port, Londres
- Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool
- Hinkley Point C Nuclear Power Plant, Somerset
10. Thornton Tomasetti
Thornton Tomasetti is an American structural engineering consulting firm founded in 1956. It has more than 50 offices around the world and more than 1500 employees.
The company has experience in structural engineering, renovation, construction engineering, and property loss and sustainability consulting.
The company provided the structural design for several structures of the tallest buildings in the world.
- 1111 South Wabash, Chicago
- 5 Times Square, New York
- 181 West Madison, Chicago
- Americas Tower, New York
- Bashnya Federatsiya, Moscow
- America Airlines Arena, Miami
- Baku Olympic Stadium, Baku
- Yankee Stadium, New York
11. Mott MacDonald Group
Mott MacDonald Group is an international engineering and construction company based in the United Kingdom. The company employs 16,000 people with offices in 150 countries, the main focus of the consultancy is to improve society with innovation and infrastructure using clean and affordable energy thanks to digital innovation.
Founded in 1989 by the merger of Mott, Hay, and Anderson with Sir M MacDonald & Partners.
- Heathrow Terminal 5, London
- Manchester Civil Justice Centre, England
- New Mosaic Stadium, Regina
- Silicon Valley BART Tunnel Extension, Santa Clara
12. URS Corporation
URS Corporation was an engineering and design company. Founded in 1904, it was one of the largest contractors of the United States federal government, headquartered in San Francisco with offices in the Americas, Asia, Africa, and Europe.
The firm was aquired by AECOM in 2014.
- Reconstruction of Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
- Nuclear facilities in Los Alamos
13. HDR, Inc
HDR is a design company specializing in engineering and architectural services, which has worked in all 50 states of the United States, and on projects in more than 60 countries. The company has offices in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North America, and South America.
Founded in 1939, it was the first firm to join the United States Green Building Council, and it is also one of the first companies involved in sustainable infrastructure development.
- Sea Container House, United Kingdom
- Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore
- Weston Library, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology, United Kingdom
- Australian Stock Exchange Data Center, Australia
Final Words on Structural Engineering Firms
The most outstanding structural engineering companies offer great jobs for structural and civil engineers. In each of the companies mentioned in our top 13 list, engineers have the opportunity to develop in the workplace and be able to challenge their knowledge in the most important projects around the world.